Our California Vacation

March 22 - 29, 2003

Saturday, the 22nd

We flew from Columbus, OH, to Sacramento, CA, with a layover at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.  By the time we arrived in California, it was too dark to see any of the sights.  While we were in Sacramento, we stayed at Ray's apartment.

Sunday, the 23rd

We went to see Old Sacramento and the Railroad Museum.  While we were eating lunch, we got to see war protesters marching (peacefully) on the Capitol.

Monday, the 24th

We headed over to Muir Woods and stopped at the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield along the way.  On the way home, we stopped in Napa at V. Sattui Winery (actually in St. Helena).  Bob got some of his favorite Baker's Square pie on the way back to Sacramento.

Tuesday, the 25th

Ray had to go back to work, so we headed out on our own to San Francisco.  We drove over the Golden Gate bridge, visited Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, walked up Russian Hill past Lombard Street to Chinatown, and rode the Cable Cars back. We had lunch at the Sea Lion cafe overlooking the sea lions, and in view of the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz. In the late afternoon, we drove down Highway 1 to Monterey and spent the night in Seaside.

Wednesday, the 26th

We started off the day looking for the local stamp/scrapbook store.  It was a nice shop and Cheryl didn't spend too much money since it had to fit in the suitcase for the trip home.  We visited the Monterey Aquarium in the morning, then headed down Highway 1 toward San Simeon.  We stopped for lunch at Nepenthe Restaurant near Big Sur.  What a view!  We also got to see the sunset.  On Tuesday night it was too cloudy at the horizon.

Thursday, the 27th

We started the morning at Hearst Castle.  Wow!  During the afternoon we drove back on the 101 toward San Jose.  We stopped at San Juan Bautista to see the mission.

Friday, the 28th

We went to the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.  In the afternoon, we drove back to Sacramento up I-5 past Stockton.  We got to see the wind farm and the Sierra Nevada Mountains (still snow capped).

Saturday, the 29th

We flew back from Sacramento to Columbus with the same layover in Chicago.  This time we got to watch the snow flurries.  Vacation was obviously over.

Back to Smith Home Page